Desidia is a term often bantered about in Panama’s daily newspapers concerning the pitiful state of its noble national and historic monuments and parks- part of its physical cultural legacy or what the UNESCO refers to as its tangible cultural heritage. It has ugly connotations when referring to the Silver Roll Cemeteries of Panama. Its meaning runs the gamut of apathy, indolence, laziness, carelessness, slovenliness, every nuance that is opposed to the attitude of its original American founders and the West Indian caretakers put in service to tend the cemeteries. It describes the present state of the once magnificent symbols of our West Indian cultural heritage here in Panama. Continue reading
Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- Reunited at Last - The Journey of the Holness Family
- Black Ethnicity Day Celebration in Panama
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- The Silver and Gold Roll on the Panama Canal Zone
- Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse- A Giant of Love
- Preservación de Nuestras Tumbas Ancestrales
- Finally, Our Silver Cemeteries are Being Cleaned Up
- The Fourteenth Panama Jazz Festival Dedicated to Violeta Green
- Carmela Gobern – A Quiet Dynamism
- Early Beginnings of Silver Literature
- Reunited at Last – The Journey of the Holness Family April 30, 2017We wanted to share with our readers a recent update that CGM Foundation has just sent us much to our joy and satisfaction. It chronicles the journey of the Holness Family in finding the grave of their ancestor at Corozal … Continue reading →Lydia
- The Fourteenth Panama Jazz Festival Dedicated to Violeta Green January 6, 2017The Panama Jazz Festival for this, it's 14th anniversary, will be dedicated to Violeta Green. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Joined in Unity to Preserve our Silver Cemeteries December 22, 2016How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7 As the Christmas celebration commemorating … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Finally, Our Silver Cemeteries are Being Cleaned Up October 12, 2016Finally, some action is being taken to clean up the Silver Cemeteries of Panama. We hope to see more of this during the year. THE COROZAL-GATUN, MT. HOPE CEMETERY PRESERVATION FOUNDATION Invites members and friends of our Panamanian community to … Continue reading →Lydia
- Los Pana-Zona by Luis E. Cubilla -A Book Review September 30, 2016Los Pana-Zona. A book review. The book was written by a former resident, Luis E. Cubilla, of the old Silver Roll town of Silver Santa Cruz better known as Gamboa by the Panamanian people. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Presidential Pardon for Marcus Mosiah Garvey August 16, 2016A petition to fully pardon (posthumously) Marcus Mosiah Garvey is being presented to President of the United States, Barack Obama to sign into resolution and lift the blot of shame from this great civil rights leader and human rights activist's name and legacy. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Jonathan “Clyde” Parris- Farewell Friend and Baseball Great! July 21, 2016Jonathan "Clyde" Parris, born into the ranks of the Silver People of Panama to become a Negro League great in the U.S. has passed away at age 93- July 9, 2016. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- “Desidia” and the Silver Roll Cemeteries of Panama April 7, 2016Desidia is a term often bantered about in Panama’s daily newspapers concerning the pitiful state of its noble national and historic monuments and parks- part of its physical cultural legacy or what the UNESCO refers to as its tangible cultural … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Real Carnaval February 1, 2016The Real Carnaval memories as a youth in the Colon of Panama´s golden past. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Reminiscences of a Colon Bway (con´t) December 27, 2015We hope you enjoy Tito Johnson´s memories of Colon as much as we have. Here is Part II. **** We continued collecting whatever donations dropped in our cigar box, still on the pavement in front of our bench, which increased … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Reunited at Last – The Journey of the Holness Family April 30, 2017
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Breakfast Club
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 100th anniversary of Panama Canal 1948-London-Olympics Ancon-Hospital Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black diggers of the Panama Canal Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Centennial Anniversary of the Opening of the Panama Canal Chombo Colon construction of the Panama Canal cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gamboa Gatun Cemetery Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama innauguration of the Panama Canal Intangible-Cultural-Heritage Jamaica Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Louis Emanuel Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Mount Hope Cemetery national patrimony of panama Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Panamanian West Indian writers prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Back-Punch The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law Tito Johnson W.-B.-Garvey West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian English in Panama West Indian Panamanian literature West Indian Panamanian poets West Indians Women athletes of Panama World-Monuments-Watch-List