Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- The “Back Punch”
- Baseball's Roots in Panama
- A Question of Racism in Panama
- A Brief History of the Methodist Church in Panama
- A Brief but Curious History of Horse Racing in Panama – Part II
- A Tribute to Dr. George A. Priestley, Ph.D
- Henry "Takeaway" White, The Horseracing Genius of Panama
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls- Another Revealing Look
- Special for Fathers’s Day- Houston Association of Panamanians May 23, 2017We are passing this announcement from our friends from HAP – The Houston Association of Panamanians, Inc. along to our readers in anticipation of Father’s Day next month. If any of you plan to be in Texas and the Houston … Continue reading →Lydia
- Black Ethnicity Month 2017 in Panama May 14, 2017Black Ethnicity Month in Panama 2017. In Spanish it is known as El Mes de la Etnia Negra de Panamá. It's a celebration! Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Reunited at Last – The Journey of the Holness Family April 30, 2017We wanted to share with our readers a recent update that CGM Foundation has just sent us much to our joy and satisfaction. It chronicles the journey of the Holness Family in finding the grave of their ancestor at Corozal … Continue reading →Lydia
- The Fourteenth Panama Jazz Festival Dedicated to Violeta Green January 6, 2017The Panama Jazz Festival for this, it's 14th anniversary, will be dedicated to Violeta Green. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Joined in Unity to Preserve our Silver Cemeteries December 22, 2016How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7 As the Christmas celebration commemorating … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Finally, Our Silver Cemeteries are Being Cleaned Up October 12, 2016Finally, some action is being taken to clean up the Silver Cemeteries of Panama. We hope to see more of this during the year. THE COROZAL-GATUN, MT. HOPE CEMETERY PRESERVATION FOUNDATION Invites members and friends of our Panamanian community to … Continue reading →Lydia
- Los Pana-Zona by Luis E. Cubilla -A Book Review September 30, 2016Los Pana-Zona. A book review. The book was written by a former resident, Luis E. Cubilla, of the old Silver Roll town of Silver Santa Cruz better known as Gamboa by the Panamanian people. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Presidential Pardon for Marcus Mosiah Garvey August 16, 2016A petition to fully pardon (posthumously) Marcus Mosiah Garvey is being presented to President of the United States, Barack Obama to sign into resolution and lift the blot of shame from this great civil rights leader and human rights activist's name and legacy. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Jonathan “Clyde” Parris- Farewell Friend and Baseball Great! July 21, 2016Jonathan "Clyde" Parris, born into the ranks of the Silver People of Panama to become a Negro League great in the U.S. has passed away at age 93- July 9, 2016. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- “Desidia” and the Silver Roll Cemeteries of Panama April 7, 2016Desidia is a term often bantered about in Panama’s daily newspapers concerning the pitiful state of its noble national and historic monuments and parks- part of its physical cultural legacy or what the UNESCO refers to as its tangible cultural … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Special for Fathers’s Day- Houston Association of Panamanians May 23, 2017
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Breakfast Club
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 100th anniversary of Panama Canal 1948-London-Olympics Ancon-Hospital Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black diggers of the Panama Canal Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Centennial Anniversary of the Opening of the Panama Canal Chombo Colon construction of the Panama Canal cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gamboa Gatun Cemetery Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama innauguration of the Panama Canal Intangible-Cultural-Heritage Jamaica Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Louis Emanuel Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Mount Hope Cemetery national patrimony of panama Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Panamanian West Indian writers prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Back-Punch The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law Tito Johnson W.-B.-Garvey West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian Panamanian literature West Indian Panamanian poets West Indians West Indian Workers in the Panama Canal Women athletes of Panama World-Monuments-Watch-List
Category Archives: Panama Canal
We are passing this announcement from our friends from HAP – The Houston Association of Panamanians, Inc. along to our readers in anticipation of Father’s Day next month. If any of you plan to be in Texas and the Houston area next month, don’t miss it. Thank you Marva Layne (HAP President) for sending us this news.
By now most of us, both here in Panama and abroad, have been witness to the shameful images of the shoddy workmanship done on the “completed” new locks of the widened Panama Canal by the GUPC (Grupos Unidos por el Canal), a project valued at 4, 357 million dollars (almost 4 and a half billion dollars). I cannot help but reflect on the incomparable work of our ancestors, the black West Indian workmen, who worked tirelessly under the strict supervision of their American employers to complete the particularly demanding work on the Canal locks just about 101 years ago. Continue reading
1.West Indian term referring to the behind.
2.Can also be a word used to enhance any sentence.
3.Used when angry
A short while ago, not only I but a roomful of visitors to the University of Panama received a cold and rather unfriendly “welcome” to a poetry recital of sorts in which I had been invited to participate. I was summarily cut off from my recitation of a poem I composed using the English of my grandfathers. What followed was a litany of “Spanish Only” poetic voices, much to my outrage and chagrin. Even our audience, full of distinguished people from all parts of the Caribbean and the U.S.A. were sternly put wise that they were in a Spanish speaking country and being hosted by a monolingual university. At least, that was how we were made to feel. I could not hang around and listen to the rest of the hypocritical blah, blah that followed. Continue reading
The poem we are honored to post today is about the memories that many of the Silvermen preferred not to remember, much less recount. But, Louis Emanuel, our friend and resident poet – and chronicler- has a sharp recall for the accounts his grandfather rendered of the perils he and his companions encountered as part of the digging backbone of the Silver Roll work crews in the early construction days of the Panama Canal. Continue reading
We want to take this moment to wish you all a very prosperous and health filled New Year for 2015! Thank you, our valued readers, for supporting us and our cause and especially for your feedback which we prize highly.
Louis Emanuel, one of our contributing poets, has shared another poem with us; this time his verses recap the highly eventful year of 2014 which we have lived in Panama. Enjoy! Continue reading