By now most of us, both here in Panama and abroad, have been witness to the shameful images of the shoddy workmanship done on the “completed” new locks of the widened Panama Canal by the GUPC (Grupos Unidos por el Canal), a project valued at 4, 357 million dollars (almost 4 and a half billion dollars). I cannot help but reflect on the incomparable work of our ancestors, the black West Indian workmen, who worked tirelessly under the strict supervision of their American employers to complete the particularly demanding work on the Canal locks just about 101 years ago. Continue reading
Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- The New Locks of the Panama Canal- Nothing Like What Our Grandfathers Achieved
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- Black Ethnicity Day Celebration in Panama
- Rapsodia Antillana: West Indian Poetic Voices
- The Silver and Gold Roll on the Panama Canal Zone
- Women Sports Champions Bring Home the Olympic Gold to Panama
- A Digger's Story
- Hospital History of Panama- Colon Hospital
- Lilia Wilson- Taking the High Jump Higher
- Carmela Gobern – A Quiet Dynamism
- The New Locks of the Panama Canal- Nothing Like What Our Grandfathers Achieved August 28, 2015By now most of us, both here in Panama and abroad, have been witness to the shameful images of the shoddy workmanship done on the “completed” new locks of the widened Panama Canal by the GUPC (Grupos Unidos por el … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Rass Not Spoken Here! July 20, 2015A vindication of the English spoken by our British West Indian forefathers here in Panama which, for decades has been held in derision and ridicule as not the "proper" English to teach our children. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- A Digger’s Story April 12, 2015A Digger's Story, a poem by Louis Emanuel, recounts some recollections of his grandfather, one of the honored and, certainly not, forgotten, Silver Roll diggers of the early Panama Construction era. Continue reading →Lydia
- Mashup March 30, 2015Some anecdotes taken from a book by Susie Pearl Core entitled Maid in Panama from 1938 which highlight the particular linguistic nuances of the English spoken by the West Indins of Panama. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- The Panamanian Retirees’ Breakfast Club- More Insights March 4, 2015More pages from the commemorative journal published by the Panamanian Retirees' Breakfast Club in tribute to the Black West Indian Diggers on the 100th Anniversary of the Innauguration of the Panama Canal, August 15, 2014. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Chombo February 18, 2015February is Black History Month in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. and it really should be in Panama as well as the rest of Latin America. Chombo was a term to identify the black West Indians from the Caribbean basin who came to Panama to work on the mega projects of the Railroad and the Panama Canal. This post, highlighting a poem by Louis Emanuel, seeks to m […]sanjuanletran
- The Panamanian Retirees’ Breakfast Club February 7, 2015We are so pleased to introduce our readers to the Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Commemorative Centennial Journal . A diverse group of Panamanian West Indian retirees who proudly share their membership with the newer generation of Panamanian West Indian descendants the admiration they feel for their ancestors, "The Diggers." Continue read […]sanjuanletran
- The Year January 13, 2015We want to take this moment to wish you all a very prosperous and health filled New Year for 2015! Thank you, our valued readers, for supporting us and our cause and especially for your feedback which we prize highly. … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- White Gold, W.B. Garvey’s Jewel December 14, 2014White Gold by W. B. Garvey, a relative of the inimitable Marcus Garvey, is a true jewel of a historical novel covering the lives, triumphs and defeats of the brave West Indian black men and women (mostly from Jamaica and Barbados) who took their ¨Panama gamble¨ and entered the hostile and uncertain world of the Panama Canal construction projects. Continue re […]Lydia
- Ode to the Silver Woman December 8, 2014On December 8th we celebrate Mother's Day in Panama as in all of Latin America. We wanted to honor our Silver Women with the respect and love they deserve. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- The New Locks of the Panama Canal- Nothing Like What Our Grandfathers Achieved August 28, 2015
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Breakfast Club
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 100th anniversary of Panama Canal 1948-London-Olympics Ancon-Hospital Barbados Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black diggers of the Panama Canal Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Centennial Anniversary of the Opening of the Panama Canal Chombo Colon construction of the Panama Canal cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal English patois etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gold-Roll Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama innauguration of the Panama Canal Intangible-Cultural-Heritage Jamaica Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Louis Emanuel Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Mount Hope Cemetery national patrimony of panama Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Panamanian West Indian writers prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Back-Punch The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law W.-B.-Garvey West-Indian West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian English in Panama West Indian Panamanian literature West Indian Panamanian poets West Indians Women athletes of Panama