The poem we are honored to post today is about the memories that many of the Silvermen preferred not to remember, much less recount. But, Louis Emanuel, our friend and resident poet – and chronicler- has a sharp recall for the accounts his grandfather rendered of the perils he and his companions encountered as part of the digging backbone of the Silver Roll work crews in the early construction days of the Panama Canal. Continue reading
Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- The Silver and Gold Roll on the Panama Canal Zone
- Black Ethnicity Day Celebration in Panama
- The “Back Punch”
- A Question of Racism in Panama
- The History of the Corozal and Mount Hope Cemeteries
- A Digger's Story
- How I Discovered the Old French Cemetery
- Dr. José Antonio Price- Rescued from a Shipwrecked History
- A Brief History of the Methodist Church in Panama
- A Digger’s Story April 12, 2015A Digger's Story, a poem by Louis Emanuel, recounts some recollections of his grandfather, one of the honored and, certainly not, forgotten, Silver Roll diggers of the early Panama Construction era. Continue reading →Lydia
- Mashup March 30, 2015Some anecdotes taken from a book by Susie Pearl Core entitled Maid in Panama from 1938 which highlight the particular linguistic nuances of the English spoken by the West Indins of Panama. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- The Panamanian Retirees’ Breakfast Club- More Insights March 4, 2015More pages from the commemorative journal published by the Panamanian Retirees' Breakfast Club in tribute to the Black West Indian Diggers on the 100th Anniversary of the Innauguration of the Panama Canal, August 15, 2014. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Chombo February 18, 2015February is Black History Month in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. and it really should be in Panama as well as the rest of Latin America. Chombo was a term to identify the black West Indians from the Caribbean basin who came to Panama to work on the mega projects of the Railroad and the Panama Canal. This post, highlighting a poem by Louis Emanuel, seeks to m […]sanjuanletran
- The Panamanian Retirees’ Breakfast Club February 7, 2015We are so pleased to introduce our readers to the Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Commemorative Centennial Journal . A diverse group of Panamanian West Indian retirees who proudly share their membership with the newer generation of Panamanian West Indian descendants the admiration they feel for their ancestors, "The Diggers." Continue read […]sanjuanletran
- The Year January 13, 2015We want to take this moment to wish you all a very prosperous and health filled New Year for 2015! Thank you, our valued readers, for supporting us and our cause and especially for your feedback which we prize highly. … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- White Gold, W.B. Garvey’s Jewel December 14, 2014White Gold by W. B. Garvey, a relative of the inimitable Marcus Garvey, is a true jewel of a historical novel covering the lives, triumphs and defeats of the brave West Indian black men and women (mostly from Jamaica and Barbados) who took their ¨Panama gamble¨ and entered the hostile and uncertain world of the Panama Canal construction projects. Continue re […]Lydia
- Ode to the Silver Woman December 8, 2014On December 8th we celebrate Mother's Day in Panama as in all of Latin America. We wanted to honor our Silver Women with the respect and love they deserve. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Solidarity from Our British Audience- The Windrush Foundation November 12, 2014We found out just how far reaching our writings and the purpose behind our research and writings has been when we were contacted by a speaker for the Windrush Foundation from Britain, Mr. Vasco Stevenson. He had been reading our … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- The Diggers in Memoriam November 3, 2014Today, being November 3rd and a day of consecration to the spirit of patriotism in Panama as the Day on which Panama separated from Colombia on November 3, 1903, we thought it a perfect opportunity to post another one of … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- A Digger’s Story April 12, 2015
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Breakfast Club
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 1948-London-Olympics Ancon-Hospital Barbados Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black Americans Black diggers of the Panama Canal Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Centennial Anniversary of the Opening of the Panama Canal Chombo Colon construction of the Panama Canal cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gold-Roll Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama innauguration of the Panama Canal Intangible-Cultural-Heritage Jamaica Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Louis Emanuel Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Mount Hope Cemetery national patrimony of panama Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Panamanian Retiree's Breakfast Club Panamanian West Indian writers payroll systems prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Back-Punch The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law W.-B.-Garvey West-Indian West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian Panamanian literature West Indian Panamanian poets West Indians White Americans Women athletes of Panama