Before we bid farewell to the month of August during this year of remembrance, we wanted to post the last two poems written by our contributing poet, Mr. Louis Emanuel. They sum up vividly how many of us felt years ago and even today. As he put it in his message to us, “Many of us can relate to this…” Continue reading
Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- Poetic Tribute to the Silver People - Part 3
- A Question of Racism in Panama
- Repatriates' Tales- Part 1
- The Silver and Gold Roll on the Panama Canal Zone
- Hospital History of Panama- Colon Hospital
- Our Mission
- Marlon Reid, the Rising Star in Panama’s Comedy World, Has Died
- Repatriates' Tales- Part II
- Poetic Tribute to the Silver People – Part 3 August 27, 2014The last 2 poems in our series Poetic Tribute to the Silver People of Panama, composed by Mr. Louis Emanuel. "Yankee dollars, earn all you can," summed up in his poem "Expats" the lure of many West Indians to Panama and later on, the United States, Canada, and England, from their Caribbean Island homes. More often than not, they met with […]sanjuanletran
- Poetic Tribute to the Silver People – Part 2 August 20, 2014Here are two more poems by Mr. Louis Emanuel during this period of recognition to our Silver ancestors. The Train This railroad was built, many years ago In the US this idea, was concocted as known To move gold from … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Poetic Tribute to the Silver People – Part 1 August 13, 2014This post is the first in a series of three posts sharing the poetic talents of one of our contributing poets, Mr. Louis Emanuel, who was born in Panama City and now resides in New York. He tells us that … Continue reading →Lydia
- An Ode to the Panama Canal on its First Centenary Experience August 11, 2014This essay is a contribution from a member of our Silver People Community, Mrs. Shirley Johnson, the Superintendent of Sunday Schools at the Wesley Methodist Church in downtown Panama City. She is sharing it with us because, as she expressed to us, it comes from the heart during this historical moment in the history of the Silver People of Panama who had so […]sanjuanletran
- The Silver People and the British Presence in Panama July 22, 2014The morning of Thursday, July 17, the Miraflores Visitors’ center was buzzing with the voices of excitement and expectation. The leaders of three groups of the West Indian Panamanian community, at the request of the British Embassy, had managed to … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Dr. José Antonio Price- Rescued from a Shipwrecked History June 14, 2014This is the story of the notable medical doctor and pharmacist, Dr. José Antonio Price, an Afro Panamanian who overcame overwhelming odds- including the racist systems of both Panama and the segregated Jim Crow policies of the Southern United States- to return to his home in Bocas del Toro and become a driving force for positive changes in the sanitary syste […]Lydia
- Repatriates’ Tales- Part II May 13, 2014A chilling example of the cold, often hostile reception received by West Indian repatriates back to their island homes after spending a lifetime overseas as contracted (and non-contracted workers) on the mega projects of the modern world. This story reveals the horrifying experience of a repatriate mother returning to a hostile and ungrateful son. Continue r […]Lydia
- Repatriates’ Tales- Part 1 April 30, 2014Until just recently I was under the misguided assumption that most repatriates from Panama back to their island homelands were met with a warm and welcoming reception from family and childhood friends. In conversing with several of our seniors, however, I was chillingly set straight. Most repatriates from the Panama Canal Zone and or the urban centers of Pan […]Lydia
- Lilia Wilson- Taking the High Jump Higher April 19, 2014To look at Lilia Wilson today, 76 years after she made athletic history on February 8, 1938, when she managed to break her own High Jump record by leaping over 4 feet, 9 inches in the 1938 Central American and … Continue reading →Lydia
- The Great Colon Fire of 1940 – 74 Years Later April 13, 2014The Great Colon Fire of 1940 74 Years later, a devastating event that became a testimony to the strength and resilience of the Silver People of Colon in Panama. View the vintage photo Gallery. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Poetic Tribute to the Silver People – Part 3 August 27, 2014
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 1948-London-Olympics Add new tag Ancon-Hospital Barbados Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black Americans Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Centennial Anniversary of the Opening of the Panama Canal Colon Construction Era cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gold-Roll Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama Jamaica Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Jim Crow Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Louis Emanuel Martinique Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Monkey Hill Mount Hope Cemetery NARA national patrimony of panama Old-French-Cemetery Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Panamanian West Indian writers Paraiso payroll systems prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law West-Indian West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian Panamanian literature West Indian Panamanian poets West Indians White Americans Women athletes of Panama