The morning of Thursday, July 17, the Miraflores Visitors’ center was buzzing with the voices of excitement and expectation. The leaders of three groups of the West Indian Panamanian community, at the request of the British Embassy, had managed to bring together many old and new faces, to this historic event: the unveiling of a memorial tribute, a bronze plaque, commemorating the enormous contribution of our British West Indian forefathers in the construction of the Panama Railroad and the Panama Canal in both the French and American periods, the hardest parts of the labor which had been left to them. Continue reading
Search The Silver People Heritage
Keep up with the Silver People Law!!
All Our Articles
- The Panama Canal Death Tolls
- The Treatment of the Mentally Insane in the Panama Canal Zone
- The Silver People and the British Presence in Panama
- Dr. José Antonio Price- Rescued from a Shipwrecked History
- The Silver and Gold Roll on the Panama Canal Zone
- Roberto “Bobby” Reid- From Jockey to First Class Physician- Part 1
- The “Back Punch”
- The Ice Truck
- Preservación de Nuestras Tumbas Ancestrales
- Lloyd La Beach Gallery
- The Silver People and the British Presence in Panama July 22, 2014The morning of Thursday, July 17, the Miraflores Visitors’ center was buzzing with the voices of excitement and expectation. The leaders of three groups of the West Indian Panamanian community, at the request of the British Embassy, had managed to … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Dr. José Antonio Price- Rescued from a Shipwrecked History June 14, 2014This is the story of the notable medical doctor and pharmacist, Dr. José Antonio Price, an Afro Panamanian who overcame overwhelming odds- including the racist systems of both Panama and the segregated Jim Crow policies of the Southern United States- to return to his home in Bocas del Toro and become a driving force for positive changes in the sanitary syste […]Lydia
- Repatriates’ Tales- Part II May 13, 2014A chilling example of the cold, often hostile reception received by West Indian repatriates back to their island homes after spending a lifetime overseas as contracted (and non-contracted workers) on the mega projects of the modern world. This story reveals the horrifying experience of a repatriate mother returning to a hostile and ungrateful son. Continue r […]Lydia
- Repatriates’ Tales- Part 1 April 30, 2014Until just recently I was under the misguided assumption that most repatriates from Panama back to their island homelands were met with a warm and welcoming reception from family and childhood friends. In conversing with several of our seniors, however, I was chillingly set straight. Most repatriates from the Panama Canal Zone and or the urban centers of Pan […]Lydia
- Lilia Wilson- Taking the High Jump Higher April 19, 2014To look at Lilia Wilson today, 76 years after she made athletic history on February 8, 1938, when she managed to break her own High Jump record by leaping over 4 feet, 9 inches in the 1938 Central American and … Continue reading →Lydia
- The Great Colon Fire of 1940 – 74 Years Later April 13, 2014The Great Colon Fire of 1940 74 Years later, a devastating event that became a testimony to the strength and resilience of the Silver People of Colon in Panama. View the vintage photo Gallery. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Women Sports Champions Bring Home the Olympic Gold to Panama March 24, 2014CHILE -. On Friday, 14 of March 2014, Yvette Lewis brought home the first gold medal for Panama by winning the hundred meter hurdles in the ODESUR- South American Olympic games- female track and field competition. Lewis scored 13.11 seconds … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Another Law to Honor Our Silver Ancestors February 14, 2014Bill of Law 562 just passed 2nd debate in Panama's National Assembly to declare August 1 of every year, the Day to Commemorate the Labor and Sacrifice of the West Indian labor force in the construction of the Panama Canal. Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- Gamboa Road Gang Revisited January 24, 2014As we approach the month of February, set aside in North America as Black Studies month, it is a perfect time to reflect on a character from the now very popular novel in Panama by Joaquín Beleño, Gamboa Road Gang, … Continue reading →sanjuanletran
- A Memory Game January 18, 2014Since we started this blog to highlight the rich cultural legacy of the Silver People of Panama, we’ve put out a call to all our descendants and to people whose lives were touched by them to send us photos and … Continue reading →Lydia
- The Silver People and the British Presence in Panama July 22, 2014
Check out our other pages here.
- About Us
- Contact us
- A God Given Task
- Book Reviews
- Our Cultural Legends in Profile
- The Living Cultural Treasures of the Silver People.
- THE SILVER PEOPLE CHRONICLE: Al maestro con cariño.
Just type in key words here.
Our Favorite Sites
- 1948-London-Olympics Add new tag Ancon-Hospital Barbados Bishop Ephraim S. Alphonse Black-Studies-in-Panama Black Americans Black Ethnicity Day in Panama Bocas del Toro Calidonia Colon Construction Era cooperative-movement-in-Panama Corozal Cemetery death-count-on-the-Panama-Canal death-tolls death-tolls-on-the-Panama-Canal etnia-negra-de-Panamá Foster-Bournes French-Construction-Era Funeral Trains Gold-Roll Gorgas-Hospital Guaymi people of Panama Henry "Takeaway" White Horse-racing-in-Panama Isthmus-of-Panama Jamaica Jamaicans Jim-Crow-in-the-Panama-Canal-Zone Jim Crow Juan-Franco-Racetrack La Boca Labor-Struggles-in-the-Panama-Canal Lilia Wilson Lloyd LaBeach Martinique Methodist Church of Rio Abajo Panama Monkey Hill Mount Hope Cemetery NARA national patrimony of panama Old-French-Cemetery Panama Panama Canal Panamanian-Westindian-athletes Panamanian Poetry Paraiso payroll systems prohibited-immigrant-laws-in-Panama racial-identity Rapsodia Antillana repatriations-from-the-Panama-Canal Rio Abajo Santo Tomas Hospital segregation Silver-Roll Silver and Gold Roll System silver roll cemeteries Sydney-Young The-Panama-Canal-Zone The-Panama-Railroad The-Panama-Tribune The-Silver-Employees-Death-Benefit-Association The-Silver-People The-Silver-People-Law West-Indian West-Indian-track-and-field-champions Westindian-labor Westindian-Panamanian-Lierature Westindian-Panamanians West Indian Panamanian literature West Indians White Americans Women athletes of Panama